Weekend Update - Asian Edition

Sunday, August 19, 2018

Yesterday, we finally did the Asian market day we've been planning since H-Mart and 99 Ranch Market opened in Austin earlier this year. Scott-n-Julie and Jeff and I headed to H-Mart first, so we could get lunch at the 8-restaurant food court there. We tried several things from a few of them, and almost everything we tried was a hit! My favorites were the Kimchi Tater Tots and Bulgogi Sandwich from EStreet Tacos, and the garlic-soy Korean Chicken Bites from Donkey Mo's. And omg, EStreet has something called Chicken Skin Chicharrones, also very highly recommended, which I will definitely try next time. Their queso supposedly rocks as well. So, EStreet and Donkey Mo's, y'all. Write. That. Down.

We perused the aisles at H-Mart, which is very large and bright, and looks just like a regular grocery store, other than the products are almost all Asian. Their produce was OUTSTANDING. Just beautiful. I complain all the time about our produce at our grocery stores. Their stuff was exceptional and not expensive.

Next we headed to 99 Ranch Market. It is smaller than H-Mart (still big though!), and less well-lit. Their produce looked just like my HEB, pretty average. Their prices ran quite a bit less than H-Mart. They also have Peking Duck for $20 and live lobster for $8 per pound. I almost bought a vat of Kikkoman soy sauce (the only one I use), 2 quarts worth, for $5 and change. Couldn't figure out where to store it, so I didn't, but just as an example, they do have great prices. Plenty of selection, too. I did get some grapeseed oil (the best for stir fry, according to Jet Tila) and sesame oil there.

We stopped into the Beto campaign office in the 99 Ranch Market shopping center, to buy a bumper sticker. I was going to take a photo of Jeff entering the glass doors with a big sign for the Texas Democratic Party, just to send his parents for funsies, but they are reaching that age where we don't want to shock them too much.

Last night, Jeff and I went to a new-to-us restaurant so I could try Banh Mi for the first time. It was really good. We need to hit one of the more acclaimed banh mi spots to compare though.

Today, Jeff and I saw Crazy Rich Asians, I guess to complete the Far East themed weekend we're having. I liked it, but I will warn you, it is a rom-com with the emphasis on the Rom. You probably think it's a comedy along the lines of The Hangover or Wedding Crashers from some of the trailers, but it is a normal romantic comedy, with a few laughs here and there. Still good! Just don't plan to blow Dr. Pepper out your nose laughing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP