How the Tides Work... 'n' Stuff

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

This post went random pretty quickly, so I thought I'd come back to the top to warn you. Random Wednesday!

One of the guys on TMZ started a new segment with what I thought was "The Olympics are over and a lot of the athletes wanted to breastfeed dogs from meat farms..."

Turned out he said "rescue" not "breastfeed"... which is still interesting in its own way.

You know those pre-fab, frosted grocery store cookies in the plastic boxes, that people debate about, whether they are the most delicious thing in the bakery or the most disgusting thing on the planet? Well, I have some with pink frosting. (You KNOW you're jealous!) Guess what? They make your poop pink. Just didn't want anyone else to worry that they might have a deadly GI illness.

(Yikes!)

Hey. So, is Chasez singing the Bubly sparkling water jingle on the new commercial? It sounds very Chasez-ish.

If you haven't been watching Blue Planet II, you need to. Every minute of each episode shows you a new and amazing something. They catch things on film that have never been seen. And! I finally understand how the moon creates the tide. I have always thought they were saying that the moon pulled the tide away from the shore with it's gravity, which didn't ever make sense to me, because the moon would have to follow a very specific path parallel to the land to pull the water away from a particular shore, and thus would have an effect on some beaches, but not others.

The more accurate explanation is that the moon is pulling the whole ocean UP with its gravity, which, in turn, pulls the edges away from all the shores. Get it? I had this light bulb moment when Blue Planet II was discussing it very briefly, and the time lapse video just hit me a certain way where it all made sense. Too funny.

And since I did more research on the Google, I will share with you that the reason there are two high tides a day is because the moon pulls the land away from the ocean when it's on the other side of the Earth, resulting in a second bulging of the ocean. (Here's a fancy gif.)

And finally, one of my coworkers sent me this (for those of us who manage data... or don't... still funny!):


0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP