Whole House Plumbing Blockage

Tuesday, January 26, 2021

So last night, while I was cooking dinner of course, the kitchen sink backed up. I had been cutting a butt-ton of veggies for breakfast tacos (for dinner, yes, delicioso), and also I had cooked bacon for pasta alla carbonara the day before, so I wondered if it was caused by a conglomeration of veggies and solid bacon drippings. I'm good about pulverizing stuff in the disposal, so I wasn't sure what happened, but that was my only guess. Yes, I know you're not supposed to put bacon drippings in the sink, but I hate collecting gross oils in a container. *gag*  I run lots of hot water after it, and it's almost always fine.

When I ran the disposal, the water flowed from one side of the sink to the other, which I've never seen.

Jeff started collecting the gross veggie water and dumping it into the powder room toilet, to get rid of it so he could investigate further. Then the toilet blocked up and water started flowing out of the bottom, where it meets the floor.

A few minutes later, Lauren flushed the upstairs toilet, and water came up into the kitchen sink. It was like a living nightmare. Where was something going to back up or overflow next? We were like, okay, EVERYONE STOP USING WATER.

Called the plumber, who spent until 12:30 am clearing out the sewer line about 15 feet down the pipe leaving the house. Every 25 years or so, these things can happen. I blame those toilet wipes we were all using years ago.

If more than one plumbing thing gets backed up in your house at the same time, stop using everything and get a plumber out. If you push things too far, you may get raw sewage oozing into your sinks, tubs, dishwasher, etc. Luckily we didn't!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP