Hootie!

Monday, December 19, 2016

Lauren tells me that her friends in their 20's who are married and starting to have babies aren't going to do the Santa/Tooth Fairy/Easter Bunny thing. They don't want to "lie" to their kids. Whaaa...?!  I guess magic is out, too? Ariel and Superman are just cartoons? How sad.

Jeff and I were driving around in the country on Saturday, and happened upon the Andalusia whiskey distillery in Blanco. We barely missed the last tour, but we did a tasting, which was cool. The bar is a nice place to hang out. We also visited the cows out back.

While we were out that afternoon, I was telling Jeff about Culture Map. It's a site with a fabulous event calendar for each of the major Texas cities. The Austin calendar has all the main happenings around Austin, and doesn't include every band playing every tiny venue, which clutters every other Austin event calendar. I really appreciate live music, but I have always wished it would be a separate calendar, so you don't have to scroll through 1000 events to find the Pecan Street Festival.

Me: I don't mind seeing a major act like Hootie and the Blowfish on an Austin calendar, I just don't want to sift through hundreds of coffee shop shows.
Jeff (laughing): Every time you refer to a generic band, it's Hootie and the Blowfish.
Me: It is?
Jeff: Yes! And I don't associate you with them at all. I would expect you to say...
Me: Maroon 5?
Jeff: ...Prince or Adam Ant or something. Anyone but Hootie and the Blowfish.
Me: Well, you gotta love Hootie.

(Prince and Adam Ant?! I thought Hootie and the Blowfish was a throwback!)

Lyrics of the Day

...When I wake to find the solace of 
all that we've become
I can't wait to make the promises

that I've been leery of...

"I Will Wait" Hootie and the Blowfish


Saturday 9: O, Holy Night (1967)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This beloved carol takes its lyrics from a French poem. What else can we thank the French for?

the metric system

2) How well do you know "O, Holy Night?" Without looking up the lyrics, could you sing along with Ella?
Oh heck yeah. It's my favorite Christmas Carol.

3) In order to get this record into stores in time for Christmas 1967, Ella had to record this in late July. So let's reverse that. Now that it's Christmas time, what do you miss most about summer?
traveling light- small purse, no jacket or hat, wearing flip flops

4) Sam is crazy about the open toed pumps she'll be wearing to holiday parties, but that means she needs to get a pedi. Will you be at a salon between now and year-end?
Nope.

5) Will you be consuming any egg nog this holiday season? And if you do, will it be spiked?
I may have some, but I don't like it with alcohol. Ick!

6) Thinking of holiday cuisine, what's your favorite Christmas cookie?
My mom always made thumbprint cookies at Christmas. Hers have frosting instead of jelly. SO good.

Thumbprint Cookies

2 1/4 c Flour - Sifted
1 c Butter
1/2 c Brown Sugar
2 Egg - Separated
1 1/2 ts Vanilla
1 1/2 c Walnuts - Chopped
1 can Vanilla Frosting

Sift flour onto wax paper.

Cream butter with brown sugar until fluffy-light in a medium bowl. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Stir in flour, half at a time, blending well into a stiff dough.

Beat egg whites until foamy in a pie plate. Sprinkle walnuts on wax paper.

Roll dough, 1 tsp at a time, into balls. Roll each in egg white, then walnuts to coat. Place 2" apart on large cookie sheets. Press a hollow into each with fingertip.

Bake at 350 for 12 minutes, until firm and lightly golden. Cool completely. Tint one half of the frosting with red food coloring and the other with green. Fill each cooled cookie with a dollop of red or green frosting.

7) Sam knows she will get a bottle of red wine from her boss, because that's what he gives his staff every year. Is there a gift you can count on receiving?
I don't get the same thing every year from anyone.

8) What one gift would you most like to receive this year? Do you think anyone will get it for you?
I want silicone covers for leftovers, so I don't have to use so much plastic wrap. I'm pretty sure I will get some.

9) This time of year is big for charitable fundraising. Here's your chance to plug a cause or organization that's near and dear to you.
We support Texas A&M University and MD Anderson Cancer Center!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP