Rambling Monday Post

Monday, December 3, 2012

Talked with MelissaN yesterday about the complete lack of job prospects. In six weeks, I have found only five jobs for which I think I am qualified, and had zero interviews.

It all boils down to this: Right now, companies (at least in my fields of technology and research) don't need to hire anyone but mid-level and higher professionals, because there are so many great people with years of current experience looking for jobs. Because of the 19 years I've been a SAHM, I'm trying to re-enter the workforce as a level 2 data analyst (out of 4, I was a 3 before), and the lowest level opportunities I've seen or heard of are level 3. I applied for them and was politely dismissed.

I thought perhaps I should get my software certification, to put something current on my resume. Well, because that training is typically paid for by employers, the cost is completely outrageous for an individual ($4000 for five days). If there were a guarantee that I would be hired afterwards, I would more than happily put up the cash; however, I am painfully familiar with job prospects in Austin at the moment, and without several years experience, you're going to have to go with entry-level retail and restaurant jobs. There aren't a lot of those, either.

If it were less expensive, I would just do it. It couldn't hurt. As many people on job boards have said though- if you apply for a lower-level position, you aren't expected to have much experience and the company will train you. If you apply for the mid-to-high level positions and come in with your expensive training, but little (or plenty of 20-year-old, basically useless) experience, you still aren't qualified. Either way, you've wasted your time and money paying for training/certification yourself.

I've also searched jobs in healthcare that I would love to get into, where I am most likely considered to have no relevant experience, historical or otherwise. There aren't entry-level openings there either, except for a few that actually said in the postings, "No career changers or workforce re-entry." I can only guess that's an age discrimination tactic. A more politically correct way to say that is "Recent college grads only." There are a few of those! Good luck with that, tens of thousands of college grads.

Now I understand why so many parents I know and have run into with graduating children report that their kids are working the paint department at Home Depot or something else that doesn't require a $100,000 degree.

So yeah. The economy still sucks. Hold on to your jobs, folks.

Melissa reminded me, as others have, that hiring will pick up a bit after the new year. Let's hope so.

And now, we dance!


Saturday 9: Beer Barrel Polka

1) Have you ever danced the polka?
Once, at a beer festival in Germany.

2) Frankie Yankovic was a stellar accordion player. What instrument have you mastered, or would like to learn?
I have not mastered an instrument, although I can play piano. Would love to learn electric guitar, but from my attempt at acoustic guitar, I know that my fingers are far to delicate for it.

3) When Frankie died in 1998, his obituary proclaimed him as "America's Polka King." Lucille Ball was "The Queen of Comedy" and Michael Jackson was "The King of Pop." What royal title do you deserve?
Baroness of Word Games

4) Do you like light beer?
Not generally.

5) In 1901, daredevil Annie Taylor successfully went over Niagara Falls in a barrel. She was badly bruised but otherwise fine. How much money would it take for you do to do something that dangerous?
There isn't enough money in the world.

6) When was the last time you visited a pet store?
This summer, Lauren and I visited a pet store at the mall in College Station. I haven't seen any other pet stores in years, since all the puppy mills were exposed.

7) What's your favorite salad dressing?
my homemade lemon poppyseed

8) Sam Winters is crazy about her smart phone. She uses it to take pictures, record videos, listen to tunes, answer emails and surf the net and, oh yeah, she even uses it to make calls. How indispensable is your mobile phone in your day-to-day life?
Not as indispensable as it is to most people I know.

9) "Kocham ciÄ™" is "I love you" in Polish. Can you say "I love you" in a language other than English (and Polish)?
German, Spanish, Latin, French, Italian

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP