I Took a Pill to Show a Veechee I Was Cool?

Tuesday, October 11, 2016


But first... This is something called Oculus Touch. Evidently, it is a controller for the Oculus Rift VR system. I'm wondering exactly what kind of game this is for. Just... hmm.

Okay. So, Mike Posner's "I Took a Pill in Ibiza," was on the radio this morning and stuck in my head, so I was singing it. Lauren asked why I was singing that song, and I told her how much I like the lyrics (and that it also happened to be the last song on the radio, so you know that one sticks for hours). We talked about a few of the lyrics and she said she always thought the song was about doing drugs, so she didn't like it much, but now that she realized it's just the opposite, she likes it more now.

Here's a great article about the song, written by Mike himself, where he talks about the song's lyrics frequently being misunderstood on the first listen, in that very way. He wanted this to be a lyrics- driven song. "When Tony Maserati mixed my album I had him turn all of the lead vocals two to three decibels louder than he normally would. I wanted the lyrics on TOP of the music. I wanted to see if I could make people hear the lyrics on the first listen instead of the second or third."

I took a pill in Ibiza
To show Avicii I was cool...


Avicii is a Swedish DJ. Ahhh! I have always wondered who the heck he was trying to impress. A Fiji? A Veechee? What's a veechee anyway? Was it Spanish- a Vichi? Oy.

...I get along with old timers
'Cause my name's a reminder of a pop song people forgot...

It's good to know from my visiting several music message boards that I'm not the only one who spent time thinking about the name Mike Posner and what old pop song from the 60's or 70's includes the words "Mike" or "Posner" or something that sounds like them. It turns out, he's referring to his own song from 2010, "Cooler Than Me." He's not talking older people's music here. Well, at least a lot of us worked out our brains trying to figure out that tidbit! Ha!

Here is the original tune, which is not the one that was on the charts this summer...



I like that, too, for times when I feel like crying in my beer.

The popular radio version is actually a remix...



...You don't wanna be stuck up on that stage singing
All I know are sad songs, sad songs...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP