Happy Memorial Day

Monday, May 27, 2013

Remembering the reason for the holiday. I hope everyone has a wonderful day with family and friends!

Well, as I've been saying to everyone... After the absolute devastation in Oklahoma this week, I hate to whine about my power being out for six hours, but OMG it was bloody hot on Saturday afternoon with no AC. We also lost a fridge full of food we'd just bought at HEB, and most importantly, 2.5 pounds of beautiful Shiner-Bock-marinade carne asada. Dude. That stuff was going to rock. I even got Central Market tortillas for it.


Patrick's Saturday Six

1. What was your biggest accomplishment in school? 
I graduated with the 9th highest GPA in a class of 860, tied with one of my lifelong best friends, Kimberly, and just behind the two tied valedictorians - Kathy (who I barely knew then, but became close friends with at A&M and currently hang out with every weekend) and Danny- and six tied salutatorians.

2. Have you ever won a ribbon for any event or competition, and if so, what was it for? 
I won ribbons for mostly academic things like Science Fair, poetry I wrote for the Literary Magazine, a paper I wrote for Government for a Social Studies competition (of which I am still most proud, because Social Studies was my least favorite subject), etc. I won several track and field day ribbons in various events. As soon as they add hula-hoop rolling to the Olympics, I am so in.

3. Have you ever been awarded a trophy for anything, and if so, what was it for? 
I don't remember personally winning any trophies before the Foundation award I received earlier this year. My seventh grade basketball team won a trophy and the choirs I was in won a bunch as well.

4. What award do you feel you’d be the last person to ever win? 
Most Organized Shoes

5. Do you think it’s truly more important just to be nominated for an award, or more important to win one? 
Of COURSE it's more important to win one. It's a huge honor to be nominated as well.

6. A question from a decades-long grade school debate: Do you believe that everyone who participates in a competition should win something just for participating?
Absolutely not. I like certificates of participation or a patch or something, but not anything that even remotely denotes winning, like a ribbon or a trophy. Please. "Winning" for participating is just silly and vastly reduces the significance of actually excelling at something.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP