Candy on the Beach, There's Nothing Better

Thursday, April 17, 2014

I posted Bow Wow Wow's "I Want Candy" on Facebook today for Throwback Thursday. My high school friends and I played this song at the beach as part of our beach mix tape one year, so it takes me right back there.



Then Lauren got it stuck in her head and was singing it on the way to dinner tonight. I told her that this is the original version of the newer version she knows. I said that when I was young, my mom was constantly telling me the songs I liked were remakes of old songs from her generation. It's always sort of disappointing, I think, to find out something you like is a copy of something old. (Although, sometimes the old version is better. But don't tell your mom until years later when you're an adult and can admit it without any hint of snark.)

Me: My mom would say, "Oh! Frank Sinatra sang that in 1956!"
Lauren (singing in Sinatra style): I waaaant caaaaaandyyy. Scoobity bee bop zee-bop...

LMAO. *wipes tears*

Lauren was curious how many other recently popular songs are remakes of 80s tunes, so she Googled it.

And as it turns out...

the original "I Want Candy" was performed by The Strangeloves in 1965.



Scoobity bee bop zee-bop.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP