Career Crossroads

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

I don't contemplate "what ifs" from the past very often, but with my planning a return to work in the fall and several of my friends pondering career changes, I was reminded of a big-time interview I had once. It occurred to me how incredibly different my career (and life) would have turned out, had I taken another path at that crossroads...

When I was 23, soon after I got married and moved to Austin, I took a job in pharmaceutical research as a data analyst. I wanted to make some extra money while I was writing my engineering thesis. At the time, I didn't even know what a CRO was. The job opening just popped up in a search I did for a database administrator opening. I looked at the pharma job as a temporary thing, just until I finished my graduate degree and got my "real job."

I quickly fell in love with the business though. The company itself. The people. The whole idea of being a part of something I felt was meaningful and making a difference in the world.

The very first study I was assigned happened to be a brand new drug treating a radiation therapy side effect which I had actually experienced myself, two years earlier. I always thought of that as a sort of sign that I was doing the job I was supposed to be doing. I found the majority of my days at work rewarding and challenging and wonderful, and within about 18 months, I was promoted to senior-level analyst.

About that time I was contacted by a state regulatory agency seeking someone with my academic background (and preferably DECADES of experience) for an open position as one of five regional directors covering the state of Texas. Not only was I vastly under-qualified, I had always intended to work in a hospital setting, so a state office job wasn't anything I had considered before. My thesis advisor (yep, I was still trying finish that thing) had recommended me, and told me it was a golden opportunity. I didn't think anything would happen with it, but I went for the interview.

The environment there was a stark contrast to where I was working. My company was in a three-building complex with hundreds of people and five departments, plus two off-site facilities with another hundred or so more folks. Most employees (we worker bees anyway) were in our 20's and 30's. There was a effervescent energy about it. We had a young and enthusiastic staff, and business was booming.

The state office was very quiet and quite tiny- just five directors and a few support staff. It was a nice building, and whoa, were the directors' offices fabulous (did I mention DECADES of experience?). The directors themselves reminded me a lot of my professors at school. All four were male engineers in their 50's and 60's.

I interviewed with two of the directors at the same time- ugh. I did well though- probably because I was completely out of my league and I knew I wouldn't be offered the position... so no pressure! At the end, I expected handshakes and a "We'll call you." Instead, they asked me to be the West Texas director, right there on the spot.

They offered me a very prestigious title and a salary over twice what most of my engineering school buddies were making at their first jobs. Their only requirement was that I complete my Master's thesis within two years, and I could create a research project and thesis within the job itself.

Sweet.

The problem? This job required at least 50% time in a little town a couple of hours outside El Paso. I didn't mind traveling, but I did not want to be away from home that much. My travel schedule at the CRO was about twice per year. And I'll be honest, investigator meetings are at really nice resorts, far more desirable than weeks at a time in a no-name motel with no cable and broken air conditioning in the middle of nowhere.

Another big factor- Jeff and I had been talking about having a baby, and I was strongly considering being a stay-at-home mom. At the time of the job offer, I was still entertaining the possibility of working full-time flex time as a mom, but the agency's 2+ weeks a month in west Texas was non-negotiable and I was absolutely certain I didn't want be out-of-town that much with a baby at home.

I asked them why they wanted me for the job. They said that there weren't many people with my academic background who wanted to live in Austin, and the position had been open for quite a while. Also, West Texas was the least desirable of the regions because the location was remote. They really needed someone and they thought it would be a great fit and a lucky break for a fresh grad (or pre-grad) like me.

It sounded like I would "do my time" in the West Texas region and eventually become the director of a more urban area, but I just didn't know how long it would take. As with most jobs in my chosen field, someone has to retire before you can get into a really cushy position. There just aren't that many of us in the world.

I gave the whole thing a lot of thought and passed.

I have absolutely zero regrets about that decision. It was the right thing for me to stay in pharmaceutical research and then especially to be at home with Lauren. The state agency was a great job, it just wasn't "me." (It actually ended up being an absolutely awesome opportunity for another grad from my program!)

Many times, the title and the money just aren't worth the sacrifices. Still, you never know when a random job interview one afternoon, that you didn't think would turn into anything, could be a life-changer. Or maybe it's that interview for the "just until I find a real job" job that turns out to be the one. Very exciting!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP