Hi, It's Thursday

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Yesterday my friends posted photos on Facebook of a four-year-old with a profusely bleeding nose and a gooey, bloody, fresh-out-of-the-womb baby. It was like Discovery Health Channel on my newsfeed, but without the graphic content warning.

Observing the Kony 2012 stuff online... After reading yesterday's Washington Post article, and the earlier Foreign Affairs article to which it refers, it seems that Kony and the Ugandan government are both "bad guys" in this situation, and choosing one over the other is not as easy as the Invisible Children film would lead everyone to believe. It's an incredibly sad and desperate situation there. It seems the world's governments should indeed get rid of Kony, but unfortunately, it's a simplistic view to think the atrocities would end with his demise.


Friday Five (late, not early, not that anyone is surprised)

1. How do you react to people begging at intersections?
Well, I didn't understand this question at first. I thought it was referring to someone begging you to let them go first through the intersection, but usually people freely wave others through... I need coffee.

In Austin we have panhandlers and/or charity collections on every corner. In general, I just don't trust these folks. I'd rather donate to organizations that support the homeless, instead of giving cash to a person on the street. And there have been several fake charity collections on corners here, so I don't donate to any of those. We did donate to neighborhood kiddos collecting to buy food for the deer on the greenbelt, so it depends on the situation. They probably took that bucket of money straight to the mall.

2. How do you react to people stranded in cars along the road?
I don't usually stop. I think that's something guys should do. Sexist? Yes. If I stopped and some axe-murderer dragged me away, people would say, "Duh. Why did she stop? Hasn't she heard about axe-murderers?"

3. How do you react to telemarketers?
Telemarketing is the scourge of the western world. If I accidentally answer the phone and it's a telemarketer, I just hang up.

4. How do you react to anonymous comments in your blog?
I assume they are always Laura. That will probably come back to bite me in the butt at some point.

5. How do you react to online quizzes?
I LOVE online quizzes!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP