The Major Suckage of Facebook Search

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Y'all know I love me some Facebook. I have one huge complaint, however--

Search.

A social utility is practically useless without a good search function. First and foremost, I don't like to see this type of results, every single time I search:

page 1- "displaying 1-10 of 95 people"
page 2- "displaying 11-20 of 116 people"
page 3- "displaying 21-24 of 116 people"
page 4- "displaying 31-40 of 90 people"
etc.

What the hizzle is that?

And among those ridiculous results are... the dreaded duplicates. Mary Jane Dickerson, with a profile photo of her dog in a dress, not the Mary Jane Dickerson you are looking for, shows up on pages 1, 5 and 6 of the results. (You usually give up on finding your Mary Jane around page 6, but "dog Mary Jane" is probably on even more pages after that.)

Nothing is more frustrating than entering something like "Matt Williams" in the search bar and getting 150 results, none of which has anything to do with Matt or Williams, even when limiting results to people:

Mary Jane Dickerson
Mark Bogart
David Harkin
Mary Jane Dickerson...

I'm guessing those people show up because they are members of the "Matt Williams Fan Club" page or mention your Matt Williams in their "About Me."

I use the school search quite a bit. Those results are even more interesting. I am searching for Doug W there, whenever I check it. So I bring up my class and type in "Doug" in the search bar. One day, Doug C came up. The next time I searched for my Doug, Doug C wasn't there. The next time I searched... yep. He was there again. Probably part of that appearing and disappearing 26 people from the first example. Now my week isn't complete without checking to see if Doug C is still a member of the CCHS class of '85.

So. Keep on trying those searches! It's kinda like the lottery. One day you'll find that person you're looking for.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP