Dad

Monday, June 18, 2012

As my friends already know, my dad passed away on Friday. The first couple of days I was at the hospital last Sunday and Monday, and into Tuesday, he had moments where he was able to communicate well, and we had several very short but meaningful interactions. He was able to talk to Siegfried on the phone a few times. It was a particularly hard few days for him at the end, and we are all very relieved that he is at peace.

Dad was "a brilliant man who never met a stranger," my Grandpa (Mom's dad) said this weekend. I think that's a perfect description of him. He was the life of any party, the storyteller with a crowd gathered around at the pub, the first to laugh, the first to break into song. He was incredibly intelligent, a genius with numbers, and a scholar of philosophy as well, with a quotable and elegant answer for every life question I had.

I've said here many times that I get my appreciation of the simple joys in life from him. Whether singing with his German Club buddies or hanging out on the back porch in the evenings, watching the birds and feeling the breeze, or taking walks through the woods or enjoying a sunset... he was always in the moment, aware of the blessings surrounding him.

My favorite time with him will always be when I was 15 and Duran Duran was playing Wembley Arena for one last night in London, while I was visiting him in Brighton. I saw the story in the newspaper. I was pretty obsessed with them at the time. I imagined the concert was long sold out, but Dad didn't hesitate one second before saying, "Let's go!" We'd try to get tickets on the way in, and if we couldn't, we would just enjoy the train ride. We ended up in floor seats in the 11th row, where the girls next to me kept telling me how cool my dad was to come with me and dance along with all of us.

Best. Time. Ever.

So thanks, Dad, for all the love and fabulous times. You will be missed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP