Chess

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Kathy and I saw Chess last night at the Long Center. It's a 1986 musical about the Cold War, told through the story of the 1972 chess "Match of the Century" between Bobby Fischer and Boris Spassky. It is written by the incomparable Tim Rice and the very talented guys of ABBA. Sounds awesome, doesn't it? It ran three years back in the day in London. It didn't do as well on Broadway.

Kathy and I didn't like it much. It's been a long time since I saw a show I didn't like. The performers were great, especially the two female leads. Gorgeous voices. The cast gave me chills with their bold and perfect ABBA-esque harmony. The problem is the musical itself. The story just doesn't flow well and the songs weren't memorable. Well, there was one you all know. "One Night in Bangkok" is from this musical! Seriously! We had no idea. First song, second act. That one was fun to watch.

I read a little about the musical afterwards.

In 2001, in an interview with the San Francisco Chronicle Tim Rice admitted that after the "comparative failure of Chess, his all-time favourite, he became disillusioned with theatre." He commented, "It may sound arrogant, but Chess is as good as anything I've ever done. And maybe it costs too much brainpower for the average person to follow it".
Ouch. No, I followed it. I just don't believe that a man can fall madly in love with and leave his wife and children for a woman with whom he's sung about half a song verse. I think there are so many plot points that the character development is very thin. The audience gets neither the backstory nor the time to get too involved. I didn't really care about any of the characters because there were so few scenes that showed any depth to these people.

Most importantly, I just didn't like the majority of the music. Other than "One Night in Bangkok," which I know from 80's pop radio, there wasn't a single song that I remembered afterwards. You see Rice's Evita, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat or Jesus Christ Superstar, and the songs stay in your head.


Sunday Stealing: The Useless Questions Meme

Have you ever written a song? 
Several. I usually write the lyrics and a partner writes the music. I can't even come up with an original tune in my head. I'm more a words girl. And still a HUGE Tim Rice fan, despite last night's disappointment. :)

Have you ever been in the opposite sex's public toilet?
When I was in fifth grade, we got a brand new elementary school. It was open concept, with each grade in one large room, divided with tall closets and other rolling furniture. During open house night, GayLynn Borski and I were in the 5th grade pod with our parents, and no one else happened to be there at the moment. She and I went into the boys' bathroom, giggling and screaming the whole time.

Are you superstitious? 
Nope

What's the most daring thing you've done? 
I used to single-handedly monitor 60 middle-schoolers in the library every morning before school.

Did you have a baby blanket? Do you still sleep with it?
Yes I did. No I don't.

Have you ever tried to cut your own hair? If yes, how’d it work out?
I cut my own bangs all the time. I've never tried to cut my own hair.

Have you ever sleepwalked? 
no

If you could be any age, what age would you be? 
32

What is your dream car? 
BMW Z4

What is your favorite cartoon of all time? 
Bugs Bunny

If you were in a car sinking in a lake, what would you do first? 
Roll down the window

Have you ever ridden in an ambulance? 
Yep. When I fainted at Walmart.

How many foreign countries have you visited?
11: Mexico, Jamaica, Cayman Islands (Great Britain), Bahamas, Netherlands Antilles, St. Martin (part of France- oui), Dominican Republic, Haiti, Canada, Germany, England

If you fell into quicksand, would you try to swim or try to float?
Doesn't moving make it worse? I would try to float.

Do you talk in your sleep? 
Occasionally

Have you ever slipped in the bathtub? 
Yep. I've never injured myself.

If you could invite any movie star to your home for dinner, who would it be? 
George Clooney

Have you ever re-gifted? 
No

If you could attend an Olympic Event, what would it be?
Summer- women's gymnastics. Winter-  men's figure skating.

If you could participate in an Olympic Event, what would it be? 
Summer- badminton. Winter- snowboard halfpipe.

If you won a $5,000 shopping spree to any store, which store would you pick? 
The Container Store 

If you were to win an Oscar, what kind of movie would it be for?
romantic comedy

Which of the five senses is most important to you? 
hearing

Would you be a more successful painter or singer? 
singer

How many years will/did you end up going to college? 
five

Have you ever had surgery? 
several times

What do you like to collect? 
music

How many collectibles do you have?
2089 well-chosen songs in iTunes at the moment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP