Spanglish

Thursday, August 30, 2012

I tease my Hispanic friends about speaking English with a completely legit, lifelong Texas accent, until they hit a remotely Spanish word. Then it's a momentary blip of authentic espaƱol, at a speed twenty times the rest of the sentence. "Hey y'all! Let's go to Maxine's for lunch. They've got the best ¡chorizoempanadas! in town!"

"Whatever happened to ¡OlgaCampos! on KVUE news? Is ¡GloriaCampos! on WFAA in Dallas her sister?"

(Olga retired last year and Google isn't telling me that the two are related.)

Well, I don't do it often, but it turns out there are some words of German origin, which I say with an accent. The town of Niederwald is south of Austin. It is not "Needer-walled" (and definitely not "Nider-walled" *cringe*). It's "Need-a-valt." 

So... y'all! Let's go to the outlet mall on Saturday and have lunch in Niederwald!

Yep. I see how it's the same.


Don't get excited- it's only Thursday. But here's last week's Friday Five...

Friday Five: Strawberries

1. What’s your favorite way to eat strawberries?
rinsed and hulled, straight up

2. What’s your favorite strawberry-flavored food or beverage?
Ooooh. Strawberry Fanta. I hardly ever drink it because of the calories and the fact that it makes your mouth an obnoxious shade of red.

3. What object in your line of sight is strawberry-colored?
"Pierre the Canadian Bear" Beanie Baby that my Toronto friend, Cindy, gave me. Aww!


4. What geographic location near you could be much cooler if its name were modified to contain the word strawberry, and what would this new name be?
Buda. Then it would be Strawberry Buda. Nice, right? Or as Mom would have called it, Strawberry Buddha.

5. Here are 500 Wikipedia articles with the world strawberry in their titles. What’s something interesting you learned from one of them?
From the "Strawberry Fields Forever" entry: Lennon said, "I was different all my life. The second verse goes, 'No one, I think, is in my tree.' Well, I was too shy and self-doubting. 'Nobody seems to be as hip as me,' is what I was saying. Therefore, I must be crazy or a genius..."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP