Should I Join Google+?

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Oy.

Google+.

The problem: If I don't make the move, will all my Facebook friends jump ship and leave me there? If I switch, will they stay at FB? It is most likely some will go and some will stay. For a while, I'm guessing many people will have two accounts and see where things fall out in the end. I do not want to maintain two accounts.

Here is one article from yesterday: Google+ offers chance for a social reboot

Sorry, but I think that socially, it will be exactly the same. It may offer better privacy or a more pleasing visual experience, but the issues with social media are universal.

You may not actively "accept" or "reject" people, but people will know you if aren't allowing them to follow you. Your long lost ex-boyfriends/girlfriends or old friends from middle school who live in Nebraska may have no clue whether or not you are on Google+, other than you just disappeared from Facebook and they can't see you on Google+ (if they even notice you left). But people you work with, neighbors, etc. will know, and the everyday locals are the people about whom you would probably be more concerned, should they get their feelings hurt that you shut them out.

In the break room when everyone is talking about a photo you posted, but one person has no clue what's going on, that person becomes very aware that you don't consider them to be in your circle of work friends. You know what happens then? You add them, just like you added them on Facebook before. Just like you do in real life with people you don't necessarily love but with whom you have to interact.

If you want to get rid of people, moving to Google+ and not allowing them to follow you won't be any different than just defriending them on Facebook. If they care, they will notice you left and they cannot find you on Google+.

...new users to Google+ are devoting hours, even days, to going all feng shui on their new digital homes. "I need to set aside a weekend," a co-worker wrote on my page. Google+ fans are meticulously arranging friends into virtual circles...

That sounds like a ton of work to me. Plus, those "circles" are already available on Facebook, should you like that concept. They're called "Lists."

...unlike Facebook, on Google+ I won't feel rude when I block their updates from my feed.

Well, again, it's exactly the same to not read a person's updates on Google+ as it is to block updates on Facebook. I don't feel rude at all for blocking certain people's updates. (Worst offenders- people who post incessant political commentary.) They have no idea I'm doing it and they may be blocking mine as well. So what.

I am all for competition. If Google has something better to offer than Facebook, woohoo!! I just don't like waiting to see where it's going. In the end, there really should be one social network, otherwise it isn't what it sets out to be.  No one wants to be on the network that has fewer people, so the vast majority will eventually move to the more popular one (like they did from MySpace to Facebook). We'll see what happens!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP