The 2012 Grammys

Monday, February 13, 2012

The Grammys were pretty great last night. I'm very impressed with the last minute tributes to Whitney Houston after her death on Saturday. Her story is like too many others, one that began with such incredible talent and infinite potential. Such a wonderful life lay before her, abruptly derailed because of addiction. The saddest part of her downfall was the loss of her incomparable voice. It was very frustrating to see over the years. It seems she lived a tormented life for a long time. RIP Whitney.

I loved the Beach Boys segment with Foster the People and Maroon 5. When I was a kid, I played my mom's Beach Boys albums until I wore out the grooves. So cool to see current artists up there with them, singing the old tunes. That's one of the best things about the Grammys every year.

I also really enjoyed Glen Campbell's segment. He's another guy I remember listening to on the radio and singing with my mom in the car. There was a joke I sort of remembered about "Rhinestone Cowboy," where Lori and I used to sing, "Like a rhinestone bullfrog.... arrrp, arrrp!" Ha! Random! I have no idea why we sang it. I need to ask her.

And Adele. Wow. She is such a remarkable talent. I like her so much because she is unique. In a crowd of great singers (and songwriters), she naturally shines above them. She is so deserving of all those Grammys and other accolades she's received. And oh my gosh, my favorite thing at awards shows... genuine, joyful TEARS! She was so thrilled to win Album of the Year.

Thumbs down--
Coldplay- like fingernails on a chalkboard. What the heck?
Nicki Manaj- crossed over from creative into plain old weird... and not entertaining
celebs texting during the show- learn some manners!

Thumbs up--
Taylor Swift, who sometimes doesn't sound so great live- cute song
David Guetta and Deadmau5- so cool!!
Paul McCartney singing the Beatles medley- yeah yeah YEAH!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP