Happy Valentines Day!

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

"And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many."
- J.R.R. Tolkien

"...Waiting for you...
For you to come in to me
Lay skin to skin with me
Making me smile and smile..."

Tony Lucca- "It's You"

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

I've been thinking some more about my parents' musical tastes. First and foremost, my mother was obsessed with Tom Jones, and had every album he ever recorded. She saw him in concert a few times. I knew every song of his, because those records were always playing in our house- a stack of them dropping onto the turntable one by one, speakers blaring from the back room, so we could hear it everywhere.

She also loved Engelbert Humperdinck. I remember listening to John Denver quite a bit as well. Beach Boys. Beatles.

Mom was always into pop music and what my friends were listening to. Not the edgier stuff, but most of what was on the radio.

Dad... He's German and didn't learn English until he was 25. He hasn't ever been into popular English music as far as I know. Maybe back in the 60s? I think he enjoys Enya now. That is why I will never forget the image of him dancing in our floor row at Duran Duran in Wembley Arena. So great!

Dad listens to a lot of opera. Luckily, when I was growing up, it was usually the weekend when Dad's records were on, so I wasn't around as much. He would burst into an aria on his own every now and then, so I got the occasional dose. ;)

He had a few German and French pop records. Well, more like nightclub singers- sort of the foreign language counterpart to mom's Engelbert records. There was a particular Mireille Mathieu album of his that I played to death, even when he wasn't around. She is a French singer, but this was one of her many German albums. I had no idea what I was singing, but I knew every word of every song. I would totally buy it today!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP