In Horsham, Hurricanes Hardly Ever Happen

Saturday, August 17, 2013

We have a vendor out of Horsham in West Sussex, England, with whom I speak at least once a week on a project call. It's always so nice to talk to them, as everyone is so... nice! And their accents are lovely. Just listening to the sophisticated chamber music their company pipes through the line before they join the meeting makes me sit up a bit straighter in my chair and stick my pinky out when I drink my coffee. Very fancy.

Matt is their new project lead. Because he's new, one of the little unusual things he says all the time is, "I will go away and research this and let you know..." (I assume it's an "English" thing, but it may be a "Matt" thing, because the previous PM didn't ever say that.) He just means he'll "get back to me" on it, but it always sounds like he's packing bags and venturing out on an extensive fact-finding mission to the mountains of Tibet. Safe journey, my friend!

Whenever the town of Horsham is brought up, I think of My Fair Lady, when Higgins is trying desperately to get Eliza to stop dropping her H's.

Higgins: In Horsham, Hereford and Hampshire, hurricanes hardly ever happen.
Eliza: In 'Orsham, 'Ereford and 'Ampshire, 'urricanes 'ardly H-EVER 'appen.

Ahahahaaaaa. Audrey Hepburn. Greatness.

I was *thisclose* to finally saying to Matt the other day, "Is it true that in 'Orsham, 'urricanes 'ardly h-ever 'appen?"

And that's fine and well. Except the line is "...HARTFORD, Hereford and Hampshire..."

Geez, I need to get my musical quotes straight.

I would have blamed his confusion on a language barrier. Hee!


Saturday 9: Cowboy Casanova

1) The singer tries to warn her friend against a neighborhood Lothario. Do you advise your friends when it comes to love? Or do you stay out of it?
I may make a comment here and there, if there's an issue I see, but I won't harp on it. You make your own decisions when it comes to matters of the heart. Now, if I knew a guy was a player and you hadn't started dating him yet, I would totally warn you. Once you start dating, that's on you. I'll be there for you when you find out the truth for yourself. :)

2) This song is about the hot guy "leaning up against the record machine." Does your favorite restaurant or bar still have a jukebox?
Nope. This part of the song always reminds me of our high school cafeteria jukebox though.

3) Carrie is an American Idol winner. Have you ever gone online or picked up the phone and voted for a contestant on Dancing with the Stars, American Idol or any similar show?
Yep. Not recently. I think the last time was when Lauren and I were voting like crazy for David Cook on AI.

4) Carrie graduated magna cum laud and majored in journalism, yet instead of being a reporter, she's a country music superstar. How similar are your life/career today to the way you envisioned them when you were 21? 
Immensely different. I was on a path towards either New Mexico or Washington state, pursuing an engineering career.

5) Carrie also competed in beauty pageants and was a runner up for Miss NSU (Northeastern State University). If you were a contestant in a pageant, what would you do for the talent competition?
a dramatic reading from one of my erotic novels- heh

6) This December, Carrie is scheduled to star in a televised remake of The Sound of Music. Do you have any year-end plans?
I wish I did!

7) She is married to NHL player Mike Fisher, center for the Nashville Predators. What's your favorite professional sports team?
I have to go with the hometown Houston Texans, but the truth is, I'm not obsessed with any particular professional sport at the moment. Bring on college football!

8) Hockey is a tough game! Do you currently have an owie or an ouchie or a boo-boo that requires a bandaid?
Not yet. Crystal and I are going to a kickboxing gym this morning though.

9) Summer brings a lot of power outages and brown outs. Do you have a flashlight? If so, have you checked the batteries? 
We have a few flashlights in our room under the bed. The batteries are good.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP