Education Budgets

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Seems every day there is a new terrible idea for budget savings for schools across the country. Because the city requires staff to be notified my March 1 if they are going to be RIFfed for the next year, and their budget is not yet finalized, Providence, RI literally pink-slipped every single teacher as a precautionary measure. (Yeah, I've recently learned all sorts of synonyms for "laid off.") Detroit is closing 1/2 of their schools and increasing secondary school class sizes to 60. Six. Zero. Good luck retaining kids to graduation with that ratio. And there is no way to help a struggling learner in that environment.

I don't think I can smile and keep my mouth shut anymore when someone complains, in passing, about the possible Austin school closures. I never get into arguments of politics or philosophy with people I don't know and will never see again, but I just can't take it. It's all sorts of ridiculous to run half-empty buildings. It's a no-brainer to make sacrifices in convenience for the sake of better education.

Kimberly says the schools are doing great in Wyoming! If you're looking to move, it's a beautiful place!

Several people were talking about Facebook's Breakup Notifier yesterday. Yeah, I wonder what your friends think when their feed says, "Joe Smith installed the Breakup Notifier application." All the women in relationships go on alert at that point, wondering if it's them you're stalking. Well, it turns out, Facebook has shut it down, thankfully saving people from themselves.

Also regarding FB, a new and interesting error in notifications: Today I have received TWO notifications that say "so-and-so also commented on whatshisname's post," when I never even saw the post, much less commented on it myself. Shaking my head on that one. Carry on, Facebook. I still like you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP