Finally! Music Recs!

Sunday, December 5, 2010

MIX 94.7's morning show used to be GREAT. Now it's become about 50% garbage. That wasted time is split between advertising masked as impromptu conversation about things like laser hair removal and vision correction surgery, and lengthy "previews" of what's coming up in fifteen/thirty minutes. Sometimes they talk more about what's coming up than they eventually say in the segment itself. Very annoying.

So KathyL and I were hanging out last night at her place, listening to her iPod over speakers, like we usually do. I started keeping a list of songs I liked as they played, so I could download some new stuff today. 94.7 doesn't play much alt rock, so I don't hear the new songs unless Lauren is listening to them (or at Kathy's). Kathy asked me why I'm not listening to the awesome alternative station on satellite radio. Uhhhhh... I don't have satellite radio!

Now I've done my research and found 101X, which is an alt rock radio station here in Austin. Will be switching from MIX 94.7 posthaste. It even appears 101X has a morning show. The station looks skewed towards the college demographic, but I'm excited to give it a shot.

I'm downloading several songs from The Airborne Toxic Event, Hockey, 3OH!3, Neon Trees and a few others. Kathy's a fan of Arcade Fire, who I had heard snagged a few Grammy noms this week, but there's something about their sound I'm not so fond of. Eh. She has a love/hate relationship with Nickelback, and played a couple of their harder rock songs for me, which she likes but I'd never heard- "Burn It to the Ground" and "Something in Your Mouth." I'll get those as well.

What did she get in return for giving me a bunch of new music suggestions? A recommendation for one of my favorite songs, Theory of a Deadman's "Bad Girlfriend" AND a bonus suggestion of the Shazam application for her iPhone, which thrilled her to no end. She had never heard of it. HA. (Julie actually sang into Lauren's iPad the other night and it guessed the song. Freakin' amazing. Check it out!) ETA: Oops. It's actually SoundHound that Lauren uses. :)

And your extra bonus recommendation of the day (thanks Shane!) for those who aren't on Facebook...

Ben Moody (the genius behind Evanescence's first album "Fallen"), and original Ev members Rocky Gray and John Lecompt have gotten back together with bassist Marty O'Brien (Disturbed/StaticX) & American Idol Finalist Carly Smithson to form the band "We Are The Fallen".

It sounds a LOT like Evanescence, but I love them, so that's okay with me. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP