Gig 'em Ags! Beat OU!

Saturday, November 5, 2011

My mom would be going for Alabama today, but I'm going LSU, because two of my close friends went there and I like purple. So... Geaux Tigers!! Should be an amazing game!

I've never had so much conversation sparked by an article of clothing, than when I wore an A&M shirt to my oncologist yesterday. First comment was from Jeff. "Are you wearing that today because you'll be too embarrassed to wear it tomorrow?" My husband has no faith. Gig 'em!!

The oncology office I go to is enormous- many docs, chemo, lab, xray- almost a small-scale MD Anderson. While I was checking in at the desk, one of the receptionists started a big conversation with me about the season we've had. She has a son who went to A&M and they were at the Missouri game last weekend. The grandson is a junior Aggie to the max.

I sat down in the waiting area near the lab and everyone there was an A&M fan. Chatted with them for a moment before the lab tech called me back. He gave me the evil eye and said he didn't like my shirt at all. I noted that he was wearing maroon scrubs. Touché, eh? He said he found them on his floor that morning and dusted them off, because he didn't have any others. Sure, buddy. ;)

"Who are y'all playing?"

"OU. In Norman."

"Hey Joe!!" he called over to another tech across the lab. Joe looked over and he told him I was an Aggie. Joe flashes the back of his work ID, displaying a big OU sticker. I told him "Good luck."

Went back out into the waiting room and sat in the larger area, where I talked Aggie football for 45 minutes with a whole new group. A guy spotted my shirt from the receptionist area and came to sit next to me to talk about A&M.

Finally the nurse came for me. "Nice shirt!" she says.

I got into a gown in the doctor's office. When he came in, he saw the shirt on the chair and said in a disappointed voice (he's a Longhorn), "A&M? Really?"

I said, "We're everywhere!"

I thought it was cool yesterday on my radio station that Alex was saying he thinks the Ags will beat OU. Sandy said A&M "threw up all over themselves last weekend." Alex said he knows, but he honestly thinks we'll win this one. "And they're such nice people there. I just hate to see them lose." Awww!


Patrick's Saturday Six

1. Do you think you have the same accent as most of the people who live in your neighborhood, or do you sound like you’re from somewhere else?
I have far less of a Texas accent than most people in my area.

2. Have you ever been mistaken by a stranger as being from somewhere other than your place of birth? If so, what’s the farthest from your hometown one has guessed you’re from?
I don't think anyone would guess my German parentage and birth, but I consider my hometown to be Houston. Few people have been able to ID a place I'm from, if they are guessing. Their typical comment is that I have no accent, but very rarely I'll use the word "y'all" or a Texas expression like "I don't have a dog in that fight" and give myself away.

3. If you had to come up with a name for the dialect you hear most often, what would it be?
In Austin, it's mostly "mild Texas drawl."

4. Take the quiz: What Kind of American English Do You Speak?
You Speak General American English!
70% General American English
20% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
5% Yankee
0% Midwestern

5. What regional word or expression common to your area do you find yourself using most often?
Y'all

6. Which regional word or expression common to your area do you hate the most?
Hook 'em. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP