Sports Saturday

Saturday, November 19, 2011

My heart and my prayers go out to OSU and the families of their coaches and others who were killed in that plane crash yesterday. It made it weird to go for Iowa State last night in the final minutes of the game, but WOW. What an upset! It doesn't get much more exciting than that.

I was at Kathy's last night and Jeff called over there around 10:30.

Jeff: Are you watching TV?
Me: No.
Jeff: You should probably turn it on.

OK people. You know what I was thinking at this point-- planes are crashing into skyscrapers or something.

Me: What's happening?
Jeff: Turn it to ESPN.

ESPN. Mmmmkay... I was slightly less concerned then, although with the OSU tragedy, and the Sandusky hoo-ha, I was still feeling uneasy.

Me: What is it?
Jeff: Iowa State is about to beat OSU! Five minutes left.

Holy hell. Don't scare me like that.

So we tuned in and watched the final five minutes and double OT, literally from the edges of our seats. What an amazing underdog win!


Saturday 9: Being a Good Sport

1. Were you raised around a lot of sports?
I was raised as a fan of professional football and basketball in Houston. Rockets and Oilers, baby!!

2. What is your favorite sport?
Football

3. When did you last play a sport?
Lauren and I played Speedminton about six weeks ago. The last teams I was on were my 7th grade volleyball and basketball teams. Go Lions!

4. When did you last attend a professional sporting event and what was it?
I went to an Austin Toros game last year.

5. What was the last sport you watched on TV?
The end of the OSU/Iowa State football game last night.

6. If you have children, do they play the same sports that you did? If not, someday if you have kids, would you like them to?
I played basketball and volleyball. Lauren did competitive cheer. I've never felt that I wanted her to do anything at all just because I did. We let her interests guide her.

Except for choir, which I very gently suggested... several times since she was in elementary school. She has a beautiful singing voice, but never had the slightest interest in choir. So we see how far that got me! :D

7. Do you think other people care too much about sports?
Nah. I think sports are a fantastic diversion from the daily grind, and if you play, a perfect way to get exercise without feeling like it's "a workout."

8. Do you have the freedom to be as involved in either playing or watching as much sports as you’d like to?
Yes. (This is where you can tell Saturday 9 is really written by a guy. You've outed yourself, Bud. ;) )

9. Who is your favorite sports team?
The Texas Aggies! Gig 'em! Beat the Hell outta Kansas!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP