Change of Pace

Friday, August 1, 2008

What? It's August? Happy August! Time flies...

Late yesterday, I got an assignment to do a full-page ad for an event for Austin Monthly Magazine. It's pretty cool, well because it's going to be in Austin Monthly, and it's a chance to do some layout work. Layout and graphics design experience I have- newspaper, scrapbooking, websites. I do not have experience with preparing images for publication in a magazine, so there was a little research involved. (Online research---- LOTS of experience there. lol. Ask me anything.)

The only tough thing was the deadline, which was this morning. Luckily, we made a Starbucks run about 8:30pm and the caffeine kept me up until 1:30am.

The event planner is pleased with the ad. I should hear back from the office this morning to see if the tech specs are correct for submission to the magazine. *crosses fingers*

Speaking of newspaper experience, my high school journalism teacher found me on Facebook. How freakin' cool is that?! I didn't even know she was still at Creek, now twenty-ish years later. I wonder if she still has a crush on Tom Selleck. I'll have to ask her. High school newspaper... good times!

6 comments:

Anonymous,  August 1, 2008 at 8:58 AM  

Happy Friday and Happy August!!
Congrats on your cover!!!Save a
Austin Monthly for me..please.
I forgot that you were in journalism...then I just rememered how you were quite upset because you wrote an album review and you stated that some band was rockabilly and they weren't...or something like that. I think you blamed Matt Nichols...or Doug Caylor. Anyways....didn't you get a letter to the editor published about a poor album review of Billy Idol. I think you SLAMMED the reviewer. It's funny how all these memories are returning to me...but you can't remember any about me...that's the DEAL!!!!!

Kathy August 1, 2008 at 9:33 AM  

LOL- I'll work on getting a cover next. I shall save you an issue for your next big Texas trip!

Yeah, my letter in the magazine back then was a slam for an Adam Ant album review. The guy didn't like alternative music. I'm like- then why are you reviewing this? Of course you're going to hate it.

Please. You're such a girl. Just a small sample of my memories of Scotty... (cue dream sequence):

* going to Lake Somerville
* seeing the play with Imogene Coca in it
* going to Homecoming
* listening to REM all the way to Houston
* eating lunch in the Creek courtyard
* passing notes between classes
* you hitting the passenger side mirror on the bridge
* oooh- and one conversation I won't specify here for God and everyone, but probably one of the last times we talked before you left A&M, where I confided something intended to be a very serious compliment to you, but it hurt your feelings instead and I felt absolutely awful about it for months. HA. Top that. ;)

My experience with talking to old friends is that we all remember different particular events. It's cool though, because between two people's memories, you can reconstruct a pretty good timeline. LOL.

Anonymous,  August 1, 2008 at 10:20 AM  

really....i can't think of anything you ever said that bothered me....maybe it hurt so much that I supressed it. Honestly I do not have a clue.
The only thing that comes to mind is that I desperately wanted to be in a relationship and you and Kathy Atkins made it very clear that I was the guy you married...not the guy you dated!!!
The harder I tried to be cool...I just ended up being the nerd.

Kathy August 1, 2008 at 10:29 AM  

Well, if it makes you feel any better, guys said that to me a lot when I was single, too. And I'd rather be the girl guys want to marry than the bimbo they want to date, any day.

Some of the world's coolest people are nerds. Nerds waaaay nerdier than you ever were!

Anonymous,  August 1, 2008 at 10:36 AM  

I just wanted to be the BIMBO.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP