Event Planning

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Remember how I always say my dream job is "event planner"? I'll come closest I've ever been to that very job tomorrow, when I meet with the event planners about the PowerPoint project. I was friends with my company's meeting planner when I worked there. She told me that to get a job like hers, someone had to die first, because it was such a sought-after position and there aren't very many of them. (That's exactly what they told me about the hospital radiation safety officer job I tried to find when I came to Austin. Okay, I know it doesn't sound fun to YOU. lol.)

So I'll be right there at the event planning company tomorrow. Observing. Hoping someone doesn't have to graduate to the great beyond for me to get in there. And I don't start the project until tomorrow. That means I have a day to install and practice Power Point. :D

4 comments:

Anonymous,  August 20, 2008 at 9:21 AM  

GOOD LUCK!!
You shouldn't have any problems...there are many websites that will help you if you run into any problems.

What exactly is an "event planner"?
I know it sounds self-explanatory..but is it an actual position in a company or do they hire you when needed?

Kathy August 20, 2008 at 10:16 AM  

Event planner is usually a full-time position either for a corporation, an event planning company, or as a contractor. I wouldn't do it contract, because I would ideally like to go back to work in an office setting.

They plan big parties, large meetings, conventions, etc. The fun part to me is choosing the venue, the decor, the menus and such. Eee!

Anonymous,  August 28, 2008 at 4:46 PM  

I agree it might be a "dream job" -for those who love to travel, are super customer service oriented, and workaholics!

Global travel, highly educated clients, great hotels, fun.

A lot of companies like mine specializes in niche meeting planning areas such as "investigator meetings."

Good Luck.

http://www.r-events.com
R-Events
A clinical research event management company based in Antwerp, Belgium and Houston, Texas.

Kathy August 28, 2008 at 8:44 PM  

Thanks! I didn't know some event companies were so specialized. That's great.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP