Job Search

Friday, September 28, 2012

But first--- Kudos to the ATX for this!

Austin becomes first Texas city to endorse marriage equality

YEAH. Go on with your bad self, Austin. Ahead of Houston, even. :)


I've started my job search. Over the years, I've kept my ears open, maintained my contacts and checked the websites of all the area CROs, to see if jobs in my profession are plentiful. And they have always been, without exception.

This week... not so much.

There are literally two open positions in Austin. I'm under-qualified for the first one. The other is perfect for me, but it is with a company where former colleagues have emphatically advised me never to work. I could probably swing the higher-level position easily, if I were moving from one job to another, but after so many years out of the field, I will most likely have to go in at the level I left, perhaps even below that.

Jim's sister and I talked about this very issue a couple of weeks ago. She was a stay-at-home mom for many years. When she returned to work (she's in Dallas), she took a job slightly below what she had left, but within a year or so, she had been promoted to a higher position than where she had been before she was at home. She recently quit that job to pursue a completely different path. She's still in the same general field- healthcare- but in a job very different from what she was doing. She's loving it so far.

I've started looking into other positions in drug research. I would absolutely love love love to be a CRA (clinical research associate- they visit sites to monitor progress during pharmaceutical studies), but it's 80% travel, which isn't for me.

Well, I would love to travel for fun 80% of the time! It would be a total drag for work.

I've also looked into higher education administration jobs, but it's either Clerk or Dean of Engineering. Nothing in-between. I would really enjoy helping students with academic advising or financial aid, but I couldn't find one position open in either. Julie's contact agreed that there isn't anything available in academic advising now.

I briefly considered going to medical or nursing school, but I don't have the stomach for the job, physically or emotionally. It hurts me to see someone sick or in pain. And anyone bleeding or throwing up-- ACK.

People keep asking if I would take a full-time website administration job. I don't really want to do that. Although, that's where I may end up at this rate.

When I finally decided last night to just apply for the position for which I qualify at the questionable company, that job had disappeared from the company website.

Well, I'm still sending in my resume. So there.

Continuing the search. Wish me luck!!


Song Lyrics o' the Day

...I said all I had to say
in letters that I threw away
And you should know, please believe me
I've picked up the phone a thousand times
And tried to dial your number...


Carrie Underwood "What Can I Say"

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP