Step-Parents

Thursday, September 27, 2012

One of my friends posted a photo with her brand new blended family on Facebook. Everyone, including me, commented what a fantastic picture it was. They really are a great bunch. I did think, though, that I would truly die a little inside, seeing my children with my ex and his wife and everyone bubbling around them with comments like "what a beautiful family!"

Yep. There are my kids and their other mom.

My parents split up when I was 14, and within a few months, my dad moved to England and then New York, so I only saw him once a year after that. Between my age and the physical distance, there was never any feeling or expectation that his new wife was my "stepmom." So my mother never had to deal with that complication. Nor did I, thank goodness.

Do fathers feel this way? (Heck, I don't even know if other moms feel this way.) If your kids run over and hug the dude that's now married to your ex- do you cringe just a little? It's wonderful that your kids love their stepdad, but honestly? Deep down? Another guy raising and helping to shape your children into who they will be...

Just shoot me in the heart.


Now, two Saturday Sixes, because I got behind...

Patrick's Saturday Six

1. B is for BUG: Which insect is your favorite?
Praying mantis. His face is so cute.



2. B is for BONE: Have you ever broken a bone? If so, how many have you broken?
Just my little toe. They don't even splint those.

3. B is for BOOGIE: On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate your own dancing ability?
9's and 10's are for pros. I'm a rock-solid 7.5.

4. B is for BAKING: What was the last pastry you remember buying?
A cranberry muffin at the Hyatt for breakfast last Saturday morning.  :)

5. B is for BORROW: What was the last thing you borrowed from someone else?
We borrowed a 1928 A&M yearbook from a guy who works where Jeff donates blood.

6. B is for BED: What size is your bed?
Queen


1. C is for COLOR: Which color is most represented in your wardrobe?
like most people- blue

2. C is for COMEDY: What’s your all-time favorite television comedy?
Will and Grace, followed very closely by Cheers

3. C is for CHANNEL: What single TV channel do you tend to watch the most?
HGTV

4. C is for CAT: What is your favorite kind of cat?
tiger

5. C is for COMMUTE: What’s the longest distance you drive as part of your normal routine?
7 miles to the Foundation office

6. C is for CREDIT: How many credit cards do you own?
Two-- a Discover that we use for every possible thing, and a cash rewards Mastercard for the few places that don't take Discover. We pay them both off every month and marvel at the amount of cash we get back each year. I highly recommend it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP