Kathy's Urologist Adventure

Thursday, October 13, 2011

This must be what it's like for guys when they come with us to the OB/GYN. Only the reverse is more Tim Burton-esque.

I can't tell this story without the total-TMI background story (Lauren is cringing as she reads this, I'm sure), so... I was having very minor UTI symptoms. The labs didn't show that I had any infection, so after a couple of weeks, my doc sent me to a urologist, to see if they wanted to do a cystoscopy, where they look into my bladder with a camera. Sounds pleasant, no? I grudgingly went.

A urologist sees people with kidney and bladder problems, but also is the primary doc for men and their "man issues" like the OB/GYN is for women. We start going to our doc at 18. Men start going to theirs at 50. Not fair. But I digress.

In the waiting room, there were three other women and about fifteen men. Two of the women were just there with their husbands. Unlike the OB/GYN waiting room, where there are flowers and soft music and pamphlets about pregnancy, beauty products and healthy lifestyle, the urologist waiting room has just a bland gray wall of pamphlets on prostatitis, erectile dysfunction and vasectomy.

The nurse asked me to leave a urine sample. The OB/GYN bathroom is a pristine place, with pretty scents and touchless trash cans. This bathroom was a nightmare. If I didn't go in with an infection, I was pretty sure I would have one before I left. Really guys... peeing in a cup is FAR easier for you than for me. A little aim goes a long way. A bunch of packaged antibacterial wipes had fallen on the floor and were left there. I didn't even want to touch the pens for labeling the cup. Didn't want to get near the toilet seat, which was up of course. I'm not a germophobe, but I did a lot of hand washing throughout that process... with their rough, industrial paper towels.

In the examination room, where there is usually a whole-body anatomy chart at the regular doc or a pregnancy or female anatomy chart at the OB/GYN, there was one of a man and all his man parts. After studying it (hey- I've never seen the chart), I checked out all the equipment. Every piece of electronics in the room had some sort of long tube on it, for going up this or that. Frightening.

Luckily, the urologist didn't even examine me. He said he didn't have any reason to do a cystoscopy. I don't have the symptoms anymore, and he said it was probably just irritation from something I ate or drank. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. After I left, I just needed a hot shower and a chick flick!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP