Football and Internet Garbage

Friday, October 1, 2010

Ugh. The A&M game last night, while exciting, sucked! Jerrod Johnson was so incredibly hot and cold, it made my head spin. Third quarter was the most nightmarish, and Jerrod simply dropping the ball on the ground for OSU to scoop up and score a TD was the worst play of the night. When the guy is in his rhythm, he is freaking amazing to watch! When he's bobbling snaps and throwing interceptions over and over, you just have to wonder why he's even out there at all. It makes me crazy. GRR.

Some new prime time show was on the other night, and I caught a minute of it. The teenage daughter was telling her mom that her best friend had been sleeping with her boyfriend. Instead of getting all mom-ish and passing along parental wisdom and advice, the mom just said, "That bitch!" Love it. Oh, I think it was that show based on The Incredibles.

I was contemplating "internet garbage" this morning. I'm talking about a few things:

1) old websites no longer maintained and out-of-date
2) emails going into accounts never checked, as well as very old emails simply stored in folders in all our active accounts
3) bajillions of graphics, photos, vids no longer viewed or used

This is actual trash, because it all resides in a physical space on a computer somewhere. More and more storage is required for these things, and places like Facebook are now allowing high resolution photos, for even more eventual waste. They just keep adding storage space, and it's fairly cheap, so no biggie, right? Jeff tells me each piece of that garbage is so small, it's not a concern. But all of that junk together is immense! Plus, it is only getting exponentially worse over time.

I think there ought to be a time limit on these things, where if an html page or graphic or image, etc., has not been accessed in X years, it can be deleted by whoever is storing it. Think how much stuff that would be. Even if you want to be nice and require that they at least attempt to email the owner (at what is probably one of those email accounts that has been left to wither), at least we can get rid of some of the miles and miles of computers that are required to store all that.

I just Googled "internet garbage" (you know, to see if I have coined a new term), and found this article by a like-minded someone over at PC Magazine. He adds another great point- there is garbage on search engines, broken links to things that no longer exist. Although it's not taking up a large amount of space on a hard drive somewhere (or is it?), let's get rid of that as well, if only for our sanity. Google still links to my site that was moved in 2002. It only consists of an index page and a 404 page, text only, that says we've moved to xyz.com. I would delete it altogether, but I don't remember the username or password to that thing. I would love if the host would delete it!

I'm going to clean out my Picasa account right now. Just doing my teensy-weensy part. Happy Friday, gang!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP