Depressing Stuff in the News

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

This newest act of terrorism in Russia really pissed me off. For the first time, I didn't feel any fear along with my anger. I did not imagine, like I typically do, how terrifying it must have been for the people in the area who weren't killed immediately. I did not linger on the photo of the mother and her crying son mourning the loss of their husband and father, while the usual tears welled up in my eyes. I did not dwell on my typical secondary concern that we might not be safe at our own airports. I just read the article and paged through the photos, completely incensed that such evil lurks in the hearts of some human beings.

It is so unfathomable.

AISD cuts are the big news since last Thursday. Because of parent outrage, the district has now decided not to close underutilized elementary schools. Buildings OR people, folks. How many of the 485 jobs cut at last night's school board meeting could be saved if they merged some of these half-empty schools? I understand that losing one's community elementary school is upsetting, but we need to look at the bigger picture, particularly in a time of financial crisis. Are you willing to lose teachers and have bigger class sizes, etc., and get a lower quality education for your children, instead of your children going to a school a little farther down the road? Well, I guess that question is answered. I don't get it.

Depending on which side of the political aisle you're on, this is all either Lloyd Doggett's fault or Gov. Goodhair's fault. I need to read more about the federal money issue before I make a judgement.


Song Lyrics du Jour

...Drinking old cheap bottles of wine
Sit talking up all night
Saying things we haven't for a while
We're smiling but we're close to tears
Even after all these years
We just now got the feeling that we're meeting for the first time...


The Script "For the First Time"

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP