Packing

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Alright. I have 3 friends in or traveling to Seattle within the next week. Is something going on there I should know about?


Packing today. I have a love/hate thing about packing for long trips. It requires a lot of planning and organization- yay!- but it can be very convoluted and stressful, too. I learned something from last year's 10-day trip to New England--- that shiny, new, ginormous suitcase is of no use to anyone. When packed to full, it's way over the weight limit for bags, not to mention too entirely unwieldy to maneuver through the airport. Getting that behemoth into a car is practically impossible.

We should have purchased two medium bags instead of the Shaq model. For this trip, we've borrowed a couple of bags from my most traveled friend, KathyL. She has multiple suitcases in every size and flavor, including two of the giant size. Tsk tsk. I'm tellin' ya', just ship your stuff Fed-Ex if you need that much space.


Monday Mayhem: Fathers Day (I can't ever get these done on the right days...)

1. What is your father's middle name?
He doesn't have one. Funny story... Once, my dad filled out some government form where he wrote "NMN" for 'no middle name' in the box for middle name. The person calling people up to complete the process actually called out "Joe Nmn Smith." (Joe Smith is a fictitious name, friends. Just so you aren't trying to figure out a tactful way to ask what the story is there. Is Joe her 'real dad?' Hmm...)

2. Where was your father born?
in Germany's Black Forest. I assume not literally in the forest, but if you ask him, "in the Black Forest" is his answer. There has to be a town on his birth certificate. Perhaps the forest fairies don't even issue birth certificates.

3. What was the most influential piece of history that took place during your father's childhood?
World War II, where he was a German toddler. His father died in the war.

4. Who were/are your father's role models?
his stepfather

5. What is your earliest memory with your father?
He was wiring the stereo, speakers and record player in our first American apartment when I was around three years old.

6. What is your favorite childhood memory with your father?
Being on Galveston beach when I was 4-5. Also 11th row floor seats at Duran Duran at Wembley Arena with him when I was 16.

7. What color eyes does your father have?
Green

8. Did you buy your father a Father's Day gift? What was it if so?
No, I just called him.

9. Is there anything you would like to tell your father that you could or did not?
Nah, I can tell him anything.

10. What was your father's biggest influence on you?
instilling in me a love of life and an awareness and appreciation of happy everyday moments, not just the grand and momentous occasions

11. What good advice did your father give to you?
To trust my own instincts

12. What would you like to pass on to your children that your father passed on to you?
scientific curiosity

13. What famous father would you not mind having as your father?
It's not original, I know, but I have to go with Bill Cosby.

14. What three traits do good fathers have in common?
being his kids' number one cheerleader and supporter, patience, strength and protection of his children

15. Give us your most favorite quote made by a father.
Jim Gaffigan tweeted on Sunday, "My 4 yr old son gave me a hand made card for Father's Day. Maybe for Christmas I'll draw him a picture of some toys."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP