First Letterboxing Excursion

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I finally went letterboxing! Too fun! Tracy and I did 6 boxes on Turkey Creek Trail. A most amusing moment was when one woman became very suspicious of us. She told us we should stay on the marked trail. We thanked her and then started up an incline through the trees to find one of our boxes. After locating it and completing our tasks, we came back down to find her still standing there. Did she think we were hiding a body or something?

Someone else up the trail asked if we were on a scavenger hunt. Tracy said yes. See, there's a secret society element to letterboxing, so... shhhhhhh. Plus, if we traipse up a 45 degree slope through thorny vines and poison ivy to search for a rock behind a particular cedar stump, we are not sharing our find with you. :p

It was really cool to find the boxes. Now I just need to choose a REAL trail name. Your trail name is the one other letterboxers know you by. Yesterday I used one that isn't really "me." Gotta think about that. (No thank you, I don't need questionable suggestions from the peanut gallery. I can hear your collective brain cogs turning now.) I also need to get my own stamp. And Tracy has uber-cool ink markers to do multicolor stamping. Must get those.

KathyL does geocaching, which is much the same as letterboxing, only using a GPS and trinkets, rather than written directions and stamps. We've talked about doing a geocaching adventure together for forever, but haven't yet. I hope I can use my same awesome trail name for it. Whenever I think of it...

Needless to say, these hikes are much more comfortably done anytime but summer around here. So... it's letterboxing season! Try it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a personal blog with no particular niche, or really any purpose whatsoever. Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! Stalker...

;)

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP